Sunday, January 19, 2014

Cherry Cobbler

Well, after being laid up with the flu for a week, I finally felt a bit more like myself this weekend, and I was ready to bake - and blog! Growing up there were some days my mom would make cherry cobbler for supper- and those were great days! It's always a treat to have dessert in place of supper. We picked some sour cherries at my parents house this summer and froze them, so that we too could carry on this tradition. Today- a relaxing Sunday afternoon- seemed like a perfect day to have dessert for supper.


I used an old Mennonite cookbook - the same recipe that my mom always used.
First, mix together 1 1/2 c. of flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 cup of sugar. Cut in 1/4 cup of shortening. Next, beat one egg and add 1/3 cup of milk. Add this to the flour mixture. You will get a thick, sticky dough. Place your frozen cherries in the bottom of your greased baking dish. Sprinkle on the cherries a little lemon juice and corn starch. Then, using 2 Tbsp of butter, cut little pieces and drop it on the cherries. Next, take your dough, and drop 6-8 spoonfuls onto the cherries.


It looks delicious! Now, Bake at 400 degrees for 35-45 minutes.


Lastly... enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment