Friday, July 4, 2014

Homemade Soap

On my day off yesterday, I finally tackled a project I've been wanting to do for quite some time - make homemade soap. For my birthday this winter, my husband bought me some supplies. I've been patiently waiting to plant and grow my herbs ever since. I've never made soap before, so I started off the easy way - with a soap base. I have purchased lye, but I'm not confident enough yet to try it out. I've got a bit more researching to do :).

This turned out to be really fun. If you have kids, it's an easy project I'm sure they would love to help you with. 

To make this soap I used:
1lb of goats milk glycerin soap base
1/2 tsp lavender essential oil
4-5 sprigs of dried lavender flowers
4-5 sprigs of fresh lavender stems
Rubbing alcohol
Soap mold


First, I removed the dried buds from my lavender stalks, and chopped up my fresh stems. Then I chopped up my soap base into one inch cubes. I microwaved the soap base in a Pyrex measuring cup for 15 second intervals stirring in between. 


When my soap was fully melted, I added in my chopped lavender and essential oil.


Then I poured it into my soap molds, and sprayed with rubbing alcohol to remove the tiny bubbles. I let it cool for about 3-4 hours on the counter before popping them out of the molds.


Then I just had to make cute little labels for them. I'm so pleased with how they turned out!  You can incorporate any essential oil and herbs you'd like. My next scent is going to be lemongrass and rosemary. 

These homemade soaps would make perfect hostess gifts paired with a linen tea towels. 



No comments:

Post a Comment