Sunday, October 5, 2014

Applesauce Day


Every October my sister, niece, and I make a 2 hour drive to visit my grandmother, and we make applesauce together. We don't get to see her all that often, so it is great to have this time with her. She taught me how to make applesauce, and at first did a lot of the work and instructing. As she has gotten older, it is more difficult for her to be involved, but we still go every year and make lots of great memories. 


We always use Red Cortland apples, and it makes such a pretty sauce!


We first cut up the apples, and cook them in a large pot until very soft with about 1 to 1.5 cups of water per pot (depending on the consistency you like.)


My grandmother has had this "contraption" forever! It still works great, and is so easy to use. You don't even have to peel the skins off of the apples (which is another reason the sauce is so pretty).

I also love that every year she uses her vintage pink Pyrex bowls to make applesauce. It just adds to the overall experience of making applesauce with our grandmother.


And after the apples go through, a pretty pink sauce is squeezed out. (I add a few tablespoons of sugar to sweeten it.) There is nothing quite like freshly made warm applesauce on a cool fall day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment